Is it possible to vomit 10 minutes after eating a bad prawn? Eaten pork belly previously

Poor

Question
Is it possible to vomit 10 minutes after eating a bad prawn ? I ate a prawn dumpling last night and within minutes felt unwell with a burning sensation at the bottom of my throat , then within 10 minutes I was retching violently . I'm never sick and did not stop vomiting until there was nothing more to throw up . Can I safely assume it was a rogue prawn ? The only other thing I had consumed in the previous few hours was a small portion of crispy pok belly .
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 minutes later

Yes, the prawn could be the reason for the vomiting.I would consider it being a mechanical irritation caused by the food rather than any toxin or allergen.

Most of times the combination of the preparation of the food stuff matters more than the content itself.You may not be allergic to prawn but the preparation per say would have irritated the stomach.

Need not worry, its always good to avoid such prawn again but its not serious obligation.You still can try in a different recipe.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Is it possible to vomit 10 minutes after eating a bad prawn? Eaten pork belly previously 7 minutes later
My question is : can vomiting , induced by food poisoning , occurr as soon as 10 minutes after ingestion of said food item ? It's the time element I'm querying .

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Food poisoning can be either due to irritant action of the food or/also due to infective or toxic elements in the food.

Yes, the irritant action of the food can induce the vomiting within 10 minutes of ingestion.

Where as in case of infection by toxins it would take some time which is usually in hours and days for the symptom to be presented.

Hope I answered your query well.

regards,

Follow-up: Is it possible to vomit 10 minutes after eating a bad prawn? Eaten pork belly previously 1 hour later
Please may I have a second opinion from someone with better English

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later

This is Dr Arva,

Yes, vomiting induced by food poisoning can occur within 10 minutes.

Foods like sea foods(prawn / crabs), high fatty foods and those with high protein content can induce vomiting in such a short time.

It usually starts by causing severe retching and pain in the chest.The stomach is completely emptied after such an vomiting.

Hope I cleared all your doubts.