Is it possible that previous knee injuries cause problems in hip joint?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had 3 surgeries on my left knee, 1 on right, with included repositioning knee cap, had also injured left hip in bicycle accident, 1988, was never xrayed, was diagnosed as muscle damage. its now 1 of the 2 most painful parts of my body, other is due to 5 kidney stones that have to removed surgically. is it possible that a broke a part of my hip in repeated falls whenever my knee gave out?
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, because both joints bear body weight. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your problem in detail. Since you have previous knee and hip injuries you must get - 1) x-ray of pelvis with both hips in AP view. 2) x-ray of both knees standing AP view. Send me the reports of these x-rays or discuss it with your doctor, only then your further treatment can be decided. As considering your age i.e 62 years and medical history which you have mentioned you hip and knee joints may have osteoarthritic changes which will be seen on x-rays. Yes, is it possible that a due to previous knee injuries hip joint may get involved or vice-versa, because both joints bear weight of your body. My recommendations are as follows: - You can take painkillers but only after discussing it with your doctor. - Apply hot packs for 30 mins in morning and in evening. - Till further treatment you can use hinged knee caps for both knees of your size. - Avoid squatting, climbing stairs. Take precautions while climbing stairs like hold the railing at all times. - Cycling and walking will be helpful. You can also do quadricep strengthening exercises. - Also get your blood pressure checked regularly, since repeated falls may also happen due to hypotension in your age group. I hope you have get your answer. You can ask further health related queries at any time. Thanks.