Is it possible for upper lip to shrink and then return to normal? Suffering from depression, OCD. Needs upper denture

Nephrologist
Question
my wife believes her upper lip shrinks, and then goes back to normal, is this possible? she is suffering from depression, and OCD. she is needing an upper denture, but continues to struggle with problems either real or imagined around her mouth. she is fixated on this area. can the upper lip shrinks and then returns to normal,it is really bothering her.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

The upper lip cannot shrink and go back to normal. The upper lip is made up muscle and connective tissue matrix which can only undergo atrophy with age.
The feeling of shrinking could occur due to de hydration I suppose. I strongly suggest not to reinforce her beliefs, be confident and tell her I don't see it shrinking, it is perfectly alright. Continue regular follow ups with the doctor, please do mention this to him.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept
my answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Is it possible for upper lip to shrink and then return to normal? Suffering from depression, OCD. Needs upper denture 44 minutes later
she would like to know if the area between the nose and upper lip can shrink due to bone loss or pressure exerted by pressing on the area below the nose. will a denture correct and make the lip look the same all the time.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

The area between nose and upper lip cannot shrink by pressing on it. A denture will correct her teeth alignment, it will not do anything to the lip mass. I would also like to add that there won't be bone loss due to denture.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer