Is it possible for a person to survive after having 40% of their heart removed?

This may sound weird, but is it possible for a person to survive after having 40% of their heart removed? I am verifying a claim about a potential guest for the news program I work for. Thanks so much
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 21 minutes later

It is indeed weird.

I must tell you that heart has 4 chambers. Two atrium (smaller upper chambers) and two ventricles (larger lower chambers). The left sided chambers are essentail for survival.

Some disease proceses involve certain chambers preferentially. Therefore, there would be a reason to believe that the client migt have a disease involving an atrium or may be the right ventricle and therefore has undergone a reconstuction procedure.

Therefore, theoretically its is possible. Practically, we dont come across such patients commonly.

Hope this answers the query.

Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Is it possible for a person to survive after having 40% of their heart removed? 8 minutes later
Thanks so much Dr. XXXXXXX

So assuming this reconstructive surgery was done in the past year, you wouldn't recommend traveling and doing XXXXXXX volunteer work would you?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

Afte any form of cardiac surgery we recommend bed rest for 2 - 4 weeks depending on the type of surgery. Even if it is a major surgery, recovery will not take more than 6 months.

Therefore, it is possible for a person to travel and do XXXXXXX work after initial few months.

I understand your concerns. May you can ask the potential guest about the nature of surgery saying that you would need it to prepare for the interview. Then I shall be able to give a very specific answer.

Warm regard,

Dr Kiran