Is it possible for a person to have chlymedia, make love to their partner and not pass it on?

is it possible for a person to have the bacterial infection chlymedia, (an std) then make love to their partner and not pass it on? I have it I have not cheated on my girl (and she does not have it) so I am wondering if it could be in my body gor a period of time and not pass it on
om sure I spelled it wrong
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 30 minutes later

Your question has interesting facts to it.

I would like to start off by saying that chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted infection as an infected person is mostly asymptomatic (i.e. they do not have any symptoms); and so it is transmitted unknowingly.

Answering your query: No, it is not possible to not pass on the infection to your partner by sexual contact (i.e. vaginal, oral or anal intercourse), unless you use condoms during intercourse. But it is generally advised to refrain from sexual contact while the infection is active. If you have been diagnosed with chlamydia and not treated, you can/will transmit it to your partner.

But, if you have been treated, and retested for chlamydia on completion of treatment, with a negative result; there is no way of transmitting this infection to your partner. Treatment usually includes treating both partners for the infection.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Is it possible for a person to have chlymedia, make love to their partner and not pass it on? 16 hours later
so the bottom line is that it cannot lay dormant in my body for years and then something activate it? I ask because I was not tested prior to dating my current fiancé. she had some odor symptons and discharge so we went and got tested. I had it and she did not. so obviously it looks like I cheated. your answer was if I have it I will pass it on. no exceptions to the rule? I swear I did not cheat on her and I was never tested before and she is the only one I was with for over a year?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Hello once again my friend.

Yes, this infection cannot stay dormant in you for years unless left untreated. Once treated, it is the end. Unless of course, you are re-infected by the same infection.

I trust you completely, without doubt. Which is why I am here trying my best to help you.

I can understand, the current scenario makes it look like you cheated on her. But there are a few possibilities to rule this out:
-The odour she had could possibly mean, that she had the infection, then transmitted it to you, and was treated for it; but you weren't
-False-negative result of your partner
-Is there a chance you could have picked it up from any previous sexual partners?

Yes, if you do have the infection now, and are not seeking treatment, you can pass it on, unless you use a condom (which would also be only 80-90 % safe). But, if you get treated (complete duration of treatment 7-14 days + 2 days after completing the treatment which is for safety purposes), you can continue to have unprotected sexual intercourse with her.

I hope this clears things. Please do not hesitate to write back to me if you have any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.