Is it okay to go for chlamydia and gonorrhea test after 19 days of unprotected sex?

Hello. My question is in regards to testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea. I was tested 19 days after unprotected sex for both with a urine test at a local clinic. I asked at the time if 19 days was enough time for the test to be accurate and was told it was. I was wanting a second opinion, to make sure that they are corrrect and that either or both std would have shown up on the urine test. The results did come back as negative. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Gonorrhoea would present with painful urination, pus like discharge with urine, pain in lower abdomen.
Chlamydia might present with burning or itching around the genitalia, painful urination, cloudy or small amounts of clear discharge.
The window period is the time between contact and the a test being able to detect any infection.
For gonorrhoea it is 2 to 7 days.
For chlamydia it is 14 to 21 days but can be longer.
Since you were tested 19 days after the exposure and there are no symptoms, there is no need to worry.
Just to remove the doubt, you can get yourself re tested for chlamydia after one more week.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.