Is it okay for a nursing mother to consume alcohol?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I am a nursing mother and my daughter is 8 months old. I wish to know is it ok if I consume some alcohol ( primarily Beer) if I am feeding my baby. Also how much quantity is safe?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 1 hour later
Welcome to WWW.WWWW.WW !
As you have mentioned that you're a nursing mother and your 8 months old baby is thriving on your breast milk. In my opinion the alcohol consumed by mother will have direct adverse effect on baby's health. As you know that alcohol affects liver cells of the baby and he is likely to have jaundice and liver dysfunction. So it is advisable to you that you give up the idea of consuming alcohol .
Thank you very much.