Is it ok to drink to relieve tension?

hi, i am 120 kgs, 27 years, having hypothyroid. i am taking 125 mg thyronorm daily and now my thyroid is controlled because of this. i eat heavy diet. my height is 5.4''. i have lot of tensions. for releiving my tension i want to drink. please suggest is it fine? i have aboarted 2 children before. i want to become mother soon now. pls suggest what alcohol will be suitable for me.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Follow-up: Is it ok to drink to relieve tension? 2 minutes later
how can i loose weight and be normal and how can i restore my general health , healthy hair without excessive hair loss and no rough skin?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Let me start out first of all by saying that drinking alcohol in your case would not be a good idea. The fact that you feel the tendency to drink really indicates that there is a deeper problem. If you have some concerns regarding anxiety and stress I think you should turn to other options as far as managing this.

Some suggestions for you include meditation yoga exercise or even some counseling. I believe a counselor or a motivational coach me help you turn your life around.

The only real way to help balance your mind and body would be for you to enroll in a good exercise and diet program. The combination of both of these together will optimally manage not only your physical health but your mental health as well. I realize that you are looking forward to becoming a mother. This is yet another suggestion or reason not to turn to alcohol.

If you have a local gym or exercise facility. I suggest you inquire regarding membership and perhaps talking to a personal trainer. In addition I would strongly encourage you to contact a dietitian. A dietitian can give you excellent hints on how to manage her diet and focus on optimal weight loss and weight management. I am very confident that if you optimized your weight and exercise regularly that your mental health will improve significantly and you will have no urge to drink alcohol.

Taking alcohol on social basis is generally regarded as fine but if a person tells me they feel the urge to drink because of some degree of stress then this is certainly a concern. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Thank you very much for writing. If you have additional follow-up questions I am available to answer them.

Dr. Robert