Is it normal to see epiglottis at the entrance of larynx?

is it normal for me to see my 3 year old son's epiglottis when he sticks his tongue out really far and goes "ahhh"?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
The epiglottis is located at the entrance to the larynx. It looks like a tiny little punching bag. The epiglottis is part of the voice box and helps to direct food to the esophagus.
Although it may be seen by opening the mouth very wide but it is seen on an average in 2 to 3 children per 100 children.
If the child is healthy and there are no symptoms,epiglottis is less likely to be visualised.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck