Ask a Urologist   »  

Is it normal to notice blood in seminal fluid?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a 60 year old man. My sexual activity has slowed in the past few months to once a week. Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed that my seminal fluid contains blood. I had a vasectomy 25 years ago. Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. In most cases the cause of blood in seminal fluid is benign and this happens due to urinary infection, kidney stone, prostate enlargement or trauma. Sometimes, the exact cause cant be established at all. Of course,some more possible causes such as tumors are possible,but this is the last thing to think of. This is common in your age and most cases resolve on their own,especially if there is no some other symptom such as pain during urinating,urethral discharge, testicle pain, penis rash. If you have any of these or blood persists for more than 4 weeks, you should do basic urine analysis and urotract ultrasound to rule out infection and stones. Wish you good health. feel free to ask. Regards