Is it normal to have white and cold toes and fingers in frostbite after exposure 3 months ago in frostbite?

what are the symptoms of frostbite 3 months out? I can move my toes and fingers but they are sometimes white and feel cold. Is this normal
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Did you go on for skiing? or exposed to cold temperatures earlier to 3 months?

Frostbite evolves over stages,

1)First stage : This is called frostnip and this only affects the surface skin, which is frozen.You may experience burning, numbness, tingling, itching, or cold sensations in the affected areas. The regions appear white and frozen, but if you press on them, they retain some resistance.

2)Second stage :On continuous freezing the skin may freeze and harden, but the XXXXXXX tissues are not affected and remain soft and normal. such conditions result usually into blisters 1–2 days after becoming frozen. The blisters may become hard and blackened.

3)Third stage : Swelling and blood-filled blisters are noted over white or yellowish skin that looks waxy and turns a purplish blue as it rewarms.Here muscles, tendons, blood vessels, and nerves all freeze.The skin is hard, feels waxy, and use of the area is lost temporarily, and in severe cases, permanently.

This extreme frostbite may result in fingers and toes being amputated if the area becomes infected with gangrene. If the frostbite has gone on untreated they may fall off.

For the above changes to occur the duration of exposure to lower temperature is always variable and depends on various factors like the temperature, the fluctuation in the temperature ,the breez etc.

With the above mentioned symptoms and being able to move the fingers I do not think you are affected by frost bite anyhow.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.