Is it normal to have two period continous bleedings in a month?

Question
Hi, My name is XXXXX. I am 27 years old. I have some question about period. I get my period last month 2 times, and still is on.......is it normal to get period 2 times in a month and stay long. I have that before 2 times period, and I went on ultrasound, but they didn't found nothing. so why is that??
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Polymenorrhoea. Thorough examination and investiga Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are suffering from Abnormal menstrual bleeding called Polymenorrhea. There are plenty of causes for Polymenorhoea. As your Ultrasound reports are normal, probably you may not have any Polycystic ovarian disease ( PCOD) or Fibroids in Uterus. Further we have to investigate to rule out the other medical causes like Hyperthyroidism, Pitutary adenoma, adrenal hyperplasia. If no cause is found then, it is called Dysfunctional Uterine bleeding ( DUB). Thus you need thorough examination by your Gynecologist to rule out any Cervicitis, cervial polyps and she may look for any signs of medical causes like hyperthyroidism or adenoma etc. Then she will take investigate for thyroid and other causes which i mentioned above as per her findings in examination and based on your history of irregular periods. She may do investigations like Thyroid profile, Serum prolactin level, estrogen and other hormonal levels to rule out any anovulation. Depending upon the cause, treatment varies. For example, if you have hyperthyroidism, then he will prescribe antithyroid medications. If no cause is found even after extensive investigations, then she will treat it as Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding. She will prescribe Oral contracepive pills or Progesterone containing Intrauterine device to control the bleeding. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have two period continous bleedings in a month? 17 hours later
Hi Dr. Manjeth XXXXXXX G, thank you replying. But one thing I forgot to tell u.....My period is always regular in every month. I have no history of irregular period. Is polymenorrhoea is bad something?? I studied on article, it says on the article, I might have problem to have a baby in future, is it true??

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 hours later
Brief Answer: yes. it may be the cause for infertily if it left. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. As you think of, this is not a very bad thing, If the cause is identified. Yes. In future you may have infertility. Thus it is wise to investigate and identify the cause now itself. So that treatment can be started as soon as possible. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have two period continous bleedings in a month? 5 hours later
My age is now 27, so if I want to take a baby at age of 30, do u think it will b problem for me to take a baby?? is the treatment cost a lot of money??

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 13 hours later
Brief Answer: No. Depends upon the cause, Cost of treatment vari Detailed Answer: Hello, No. I do not mean it will affect your pregnancy or baby. Because it is usual to have Polymenorrhea or Hypomenorrhoea for some time in life many women. But if it persistent, it should be investigated and treated. Depending upon the cause the treatment varies and thus cost of the treatment also. If no cause is found, then Oral contracepive pills or Progesterone containing Intrauterine device may be used. It does not cost very much. But if there is any Pitutary adenoma, then treatment cost will be higher and doctor may advice surgery. You should first check with a Gynecologist and investigate properly. Till then do not get confuse and stress yourself. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.