Is it normal to have tender ligament in my armpit?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I am 37, about 205lbs and about one week ago noticed what is like a tendon or ligament in my right armpit that is about 2 or so inches long that I can feel when I lift my arm up. I have regular motion of the arm and not a lot of pain, the tendon or ligament is just tender and sore to the touch, and perhaps when I stretch out real far. I can't remember any strenuous workout or activity that I might have engaged in to cause this. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal tendon connecting your muscles to your bone Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. It sounds like normal anatomy, like a normal tendon connecting your muscles to your bone in your arm pit. But it sticks out and it is very noticeable, and it is only under 1 armpit, Sometimes these tendons can be more prominent on one arm pit. We are not all symmetric and sometimes these tendons can pop out That could be from tendonitis of the elbow That lifting of weights can sometimes cause tendons to pop out of place. You should ice and see if that helps. Sometimes NSAID's like ibuprofen can help as well. You might need to take a break from lifting weights for a bit. If it gets worse consult near by physician. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care

Follow-up: Is it normal to have tender ligament in my armpit? 13 minutes later
Can such a tendon be more pronounced even if I do not lift weights. Like I said, I am not sure what caused it, as I do not lift weights and have not done any strenuous exercise. I Have taken ibuprofen for last few days and not much difference.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be enlarged axillary lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hi, As you are not done any weight lifting or strenuous workout, another possibility could be enlarged axillary lymph node. As these are tender to touch, means these are inflamed. It could occur due to some infection in local area around.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have tender ligament in my armpit? 4 minutes later
How is the enlarged axillary lymph node treated and how long until back to normal?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment focuses on treating the cause. Detailed Answer: Hi, Axillary lymph nodes may swell from an injury or infection to the arm or hand. Treatment for swollen glands focuses on treating the cause. For example, a bacterial infection may be treated with antibiotics, while a viral infection often goes away on its own.