Is it normal to have fluctuation in blood pressure ?

My blood pressure was 107/69 is that normal?
I am 64 yrs. old 5'4" 112 lbs. pulse was 64 .. about a half hour ago it was 98/72
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As for your blood pressure readings 107/69 and 98/72 are generally regarded as normal in the absence of symptoms. Since you feel tired we need to pay closer attention to this, however. It is important to recognize also that after we exercise, the blood pressure will typically go down and remain slightly below the average for a period of time - usually a few hours. This is one reason why we generally regard exercise as being good for you and the heart.

I would say - keep a close eye on the blood pressure for the rest of the day - check it every 3-4 hours and see if there is a trend in any direction. If you feel more and more fatigued or as if you might pass out or if you have difficulty breathing - this is a cause for concern which your physician should evaluate. I see you do not take any blood pressure medications so there is no need to adjust your medicines. Finally, we must make sure the cuff you are using is accurate. To check this, I would take it to the local pharmacy where a BP machine is available and check your BP with both machines to make sure yours is calibrated appropriately.

I hope this information has been adequate and helpful for you. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.

Congratulations also on staying active with exercise - this is a key to a long and healthy life!