Is it normal to have compression pain, swelling and blue toes after grade 3 inversion sprained ankle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had a grade 3 inversion sprained ankle 5 months ago, but I am still unable to weightbear for longer then 5 minutes, I also have really bad compression pain, swelling, along with my foot and toes slowly turning blue my little toe on the nail is black with red discolouration on toe itsself is this serious as I can seem to get drs to listen to me
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise to repeat MRI ankle Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history and injury pattern there can be persistent tear in ankle ligament leading to pain and swelling. Instability may increase due to laxity of ligament. I will advise to repeat MRI ankle for soft tissue involvement. Till time you can continue use supportive splint or brace. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and TENS will help in early healing. Persistent pain after ankle injury is common and may take 6 months to heal. Discoloration of toe can be due to hematoma collection or reduction in blood supply. Hematoma will resolve with time,blood flow obstruction may need clinical examination and investigation. If there is complete ligament tear on lateral aspect then arthroscopic ankle ligament repair can be done. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have compression pain, swelling and blue toes after grade 3 inversion sprained ankle? 33 minutes later
the drs refuse to do a mri, I have had a ultrasound which showed a thickening in the atfl but nothing else came up. the pressure and pain has increased steadilly and I am vertually bed bound most of the time if not house bound as I cant walk without pain or compresssion pressure

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: MRI will give details of thickened ATFL injury. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Ultrasound does not give accurate diagnosis of ligament injury. Can you do MRI from other doctor,MRI will give details of thickened ATFL injury. Use splint support to avoid pain and further injury. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.