Is it normal to get imbalance in legs with numbness post drinks ?

General Surgeon
Hi i'm 39, 5ft 4 and about 9 and a half stone, whilst celebrating my birthday the other eve and having a few sociable drinks at home with dinner when I stood up from the couch the power in my right leg was gone and when I stood down it was like jelly and caused me to become unbalanced I didn't fall but twisted down on to my ankle,as my leg would not straighten, causing swelling, once I balanced myself I started to shake my right leg which then started tingling and a pins and needles sensation came then it appeared ok except for the bruise I caused on the ankle. But i'm worried as to why this happened??? I attended a&e the following day and they have strapped my ankle and think that I have pulled ligaments in it. However they didn't check my BP or do any examinations except to my foot. I think that my leg was possibly asleep, but now am worried incase it was a mini-stroke and i'm dismissing it as nothing???
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Is it normal to get imbalance in legs with numbness post drinks ? 9 minutes later
am i worrying unnecessarly
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 23 minutes later

In 39 years old young man, who is known smoker & drinker, post drinks imbalance is quite common, if alcohol consumption is slightly high.

Some times transient hypotension following drinking can also cause imbalance, leading to twisting of leg or ankle.

Transient XXXXXXX stroke can occur in smokers and drinkers at young age.

But injury to your ankle (swelling, tingling and pins & needles, even bruise) is secondary to twisting while unable to balance your self and not the primary problem.

Imbalance leading to twisting of leg causing sprain or injury is quite common.

Ankle treatment is right, it is required also to avoid future complication.

But it would be better if it is investigated & complete health check up done to rule out any possibility of stroke or any other conditions.

So opinion of neurologist will be more fruitful and helpful.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.
Follow-up: Is it normal to get imbalance in legs with numbness post drinks ? 21 minutes later
My main concern is why my leg went completley numb and limp before I twisted the ankle, once I started shaking it the feeling started to come back slowly
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.     

When sitting in bad posture or for long time, there can some nerve compression or circular disturbance leading to temporary numbness with pin & needles sensations.

Numbness in such cases cause temporary limp in the legs, which disappear with in few minutes with change of postures or movements of part.

Night palsy (Friday or Saturday) is a good example, which occurs in drinkers, who consume high doses on weekend`s.

So numbness in such cases is mostly transient and disappear within few minutes. It shouldn't be the matter of concern and please do not worry.

If one is vigilant twisting can be avoided.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you Good Health.