Is it normal to feel jittery and anxious after coming off carbimazole?

Is it normal to feel jittery and anxious 2 weeks after coming off carbimazole. I have been on it for three years,
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it does not usually occur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

This is not a normal reaction when this medication is discontinued though everyone reacts differently in response to and as a result of discontinuation of medication.

Carbimazole, as you would know, is used to treat hyperthyroidism. In terms of Graves disease, it is either used as short term treatment in preparation for radioactive iodine or surgery or to induce remission of the disease.

About 30% of persons with Graves will undergo remission after prolonged treatment with anti thyroid drugs such as carbimazole.

I mention this because though anxiety and jittery sensation are not common side effects of discontinuation of the drug, they are symptoms that can occur with increased level of thyroid hormone.

You may want to consider having your thyroid hormone levels assessed to see if they have remained normal.

I hope this helps ,feel free to ask any other questions