Is it normal for change of belly button from innie to outie?

My belly button seems to have changed recently from an "innie" to a half "outie" ...should I be concerned? I'm a 36 year old male 6'2' about 200 lbs. Never have had any serious medical concerns. I know my body well and a few days ago I noticed some extra skin in my belly button area which makes it appear as if my belly button is changing from an innie to an outie. Is this normal for changes to occur to the belly button?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Transition of the belly button from an innie to an outie can either be due to excessive fat deposition in the area as a result of a recent weight gain or it can be an umbilical hernia.
A careful examination by your primary physician will help in diagnosis.
In most of these cases, no treatment is needed. Loosing some extra weight and abdominal muscle strengthening exercises help in reducing the problem. In most of the cases it remains asymptomatic and unnoticed for years.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.