Is it necessary to go for surgery for herniated disc and mild scoliosis?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi...I posted a few days ago about l4-l5 radiculopathy old 2 yrs ago herniated disc at that level with increased pain when walking or moving. I did see a neurosurgeon and had another mri I fell on ice in my driveway which brought about these new symptoms. the mri showed stenosis at that area. The neurosurgeon said he could fix it with surgery, but, because I have mild scoliosis he is afraid to operate on my back. He said more problems could arise. He suggested an epidural...I am awaiting the call. My question you think another surgeon would operate> should I get a second opinion? I am a nurse and walk turn bend etc constantly. I am 54 and need to work about 7 more years.......what do you think?? thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No harm to get a second opinion. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. There is no harm to get a second opinion. Decision of operation depend upon severity of nerve compression and radicular symptoms. I think you should go for epidural injection first. If these not work, then go for surgical option. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care