Is it necessary to get vaccinated for rabies without any bite or blood?

General Surgeon
Question
My cousins pet is friendly while playing yesterday his teeeth touched my leg no blood he has got anti rabies when he wa a pet should i get rabies vaccine and is it risky to get vaccinated for rabiees if there is no clear bite or blood and when u know the history of the pet pleaae reply
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Low risk, no need of vaccination Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX In case you reliably know that your cousin pet is adequately and completely vaccinated against Rabies recently then there is no need of taking Rabies vaccine. As there is no bite mark or scratch, it's unlikely that you are exposed to the risk. Also it would be essential to observe the pet for atleast ten days, after that period if the pet is.alive and alright and no change in behavior it's unlikely that the pet is infected with Rabies. In case you are not sure of exact immunization of pet , it's safer to start taking Rabies vaccine even though there is no blood drawn or scratch. I would suggest you to see your physician who will specifically look out for the lesion. The schedule is 1. Dose 1 (0)- taken on the day of bite or at earliest 2 Dose 2- Three days after the first 3. Dose 3- seven days after the first dose In case the pet is healthy and alive after 10 days, there is no need of taking 14th day and 28th day dose. Remember Rabies is disease with 100% mortality .whenever in doubt benefit of taking anti rabies vaccine outweigh the risks of adverse effects of vaccination. Would suggest you to see your physician at earliest. I hope it helped Do get back to me if you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Surgeon

Follow-up: Is it necessary to get vaccinated for rabies without any bite or blood? 50 minutes later
The pet dog was vaccinated at birth and is healthy there is no bite mark also i had got a vaccine when i was a kid if the pet lives on for more than ten days then i am safe and what are the siide effects of the vaccine if any

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: observe for ten days Detailed Answer: Namaste The pet dog should also be receiving regular booster doses of vaccination. In human every bite has to be reassessed and if the exposure is significant then it requires vaccination after every exposure. The recent developed Verocell and chick embryo derived vaccine are free from major side effects. The most common side effects are pain at site of injection and erythema. In your case suggest you to observe the dog for ten days, get vaccinated if the dog does not survive or behaves abnormal. Wishing you healthy life Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Is it necessary to get vaccinated for rabies without any bite or blood? 8 minutes later
Last question i have people pregnant in my house hope vaccine has no side effects on them if i get fever or cold from the vaccine and finally if tyr dog is normal ten days from now shiould i forget about the vaccine i am totally safe

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: vaccination will not affect others Detailed Answer: Greetings Dear XXXX Your vaccination will not affect anyone else or any pregnant females. If the pet is normal after ten days, it's highly unlikely to be infected with virus and vaccination will not be required. Wishing you healthy life IF you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Is it necessary to get vaccinated for rabies without any bite or blood? 19 hours later
So if the dog is heathy afrer ten days shoul i totally forget about this and any vaccination in this case and if i got the scratch on 5 then when should be the XXXXXXX date when i should forget about this please Note i have not taken any vaccination till date and the ones where given some 20 years back

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Totally forget the incident after 10days Detailed Answer: Greetings of the day Dear XXXX, As you have had exposure on 5th of this month, I advise you to watch till 15th of this month and if the pet is alright, then there seems to no cause of.concern and you can totally forget about the incident. So do not worry as per your description it's a insignificant exposure and watching for ten days for pet is all that is required Would advise you to take care while handing the Pets next time. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCh

Follow-up: Is it necessary to get vaccinated for rabies without any bite or blood? 13 minutes later
Great thanks i pet is heatlhy and is mot biting anyone at home so after 15 i delete this from my mind tiill then i might think about it also finally can a rabies pet survive if it has rabies or is it possible that it can keep on living and we as family wont cone to know thanks will update u on 15 now

Brief Answer: Unlikely to be chronic carrier in dogs Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX The median incubation period of rabies in dogs is usually ten days, if they are infected with Rabies it's unlikely that they will be long term carriers. So.It's unlikely to affect other family members. As you have said there are other family members especially pregnant females, I suggest you to get thorough regular immunization from Veterinary Surgeon as per his/her recommendation. Thanks for keeping me updated. Do take good care of yourself Wish you success and all happiness Best Regards Dr Deepak

Follow-up: Is it necessary to get vaccinated for rabies without any bite or blood? 9 minutes later
Cool thank you and final question what are the baslic symptons which we should observe in next 9 days in the dog no more questions and thanks for your prompt reply and i am confident there is nothing to worry

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: look for following mentioned points Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX I would suggest you to look for following things 1. Excessive salivation 2. Uncontrolled behavior without provocation 3. Attack without reasons 4. Excessive sleep( could be seen in dumb rabies, usually pets are hyperexcitable if they are Rabies infected, but sometimes they can be completely silent) At end of ten days if the pet is like before there seems to be no cause of concern. Take care Regards Deepak