Is it mandatory to avoid red meat and steak post open heart surgery ?

Can an open heart patient EVER eat steak again? Must ALL red meats be avoided?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

Red meat and steak are XXXXXXX in saturated fats which is not considered a good fat as far as the heart disease is concerned.
It specifically increases the intima -media thickness which is the main indicator of atherosclerosis(thickening of arterial walls) which is responsible for ischemic heart disease.
Red meat is also associated with increase in cholesterol levels.
It is best if you avoid red meat and steak as much as you can for better health.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.