Is it ideal to start treatment to avoid balding if the vellus hair is 7.8% ?

sir, my tricho scan reports are
analysed area[cm^2] -1.87
hair count-218.5,
hair density[1/cm^2]-116.9,
anagen hairs(%)-55.3
telogen hairs[%] -44.7,
vellus hair dens[1/cm^2]-9.1,
terminal hair density[1/cm^2]-107.8,
vellus hair-17.0(7.8%),
terminal hairs 201.5(92.2%)
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Is it ideal to start treatment to avoid balding if the vellus hair is 7.8% ? 11 minutes later
These are my tricho scan reports taken from vcare hospital in hyderabad,India.thay say that i am in peak stage of nearing to bald head. so they are asking me to start treatmant within one month. how far is it true and to what extent can i rely them?

Also i dont have the history of bald head in my family history . will there be any side effects if i take the treatment.

They told me that vellus hair is 7.8% if it crosses 10,then it is waste of taking treatment and i will get the bald i m in confusion what to do now.

please help me sir whether it is the correct time for me start the treatment.

Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 2 hours later

In this age the hair growth also tends to be at the maximum in your report the signs of maximum hair growth is less.

The anagen phase is the hair growth phase it is normally more than 80% but in your report it is only 55.3%.

The telogen phase is the represents the old hair which will soon fall it should be normally less than 18% at any given time but in your case it is 44% which is on the higher side.

Hence the ratio of anagen and telogen is altered nearing 1:1 which should normally be 4 or 5:1.

The Vellous hair is present all over the body. They are the fine hair which is hardly noticed by common people (e.g hairs on females hands & face) these are present on soft part of the body and also on the bald head which is a poor indicator.

The terminal hair is small hair but coarse than vellous hair (e.g hair on males hands) and they start appearing after puberty and hence they are fine and are seen all over the body including head in varying proportion.

I would suggest to take another study as the difference is always seen in same individual in 2 different places and in the same machine or procedure in 2 different time.

Reconfirm the test and take another doctors opinion before you start the treatment.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. I will be available to any of your queries or doubt feel free to ask.

Follow-up: Is it ideal to start treatment to avoid balding if the vellus hair is 7.8% ? 13 hours later
Respected Sir,

thanks for ur reply.Almost all my doubts are cleared but i would pleased to know if u comment on my hair density and the normal hair density that a person should have. also i would like to know about side effects of treatment and also im slowly getting white hairs . will it be increased if i take the treatment.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

So, the normal hair density in the scalp ranges from 400-600/cm2 is the standard but in many setup it varies. 200-400/cm2 is also considered to be in between or normal in few places. Anything less than this is always alarming to those who care for hair very much.

In some condition the deficiency in diet or an food or medicine or environmental pollution can cause this.

If nothing sort of those are there then the treatment should be started.

The treatment depends on the pattern of baldness and the number of hair, cause of the hair loss.

The treatment usually followed are:
1. Biotin is a vitamin supplement and has no side effects.
2. Minoxidil is a medicine for hypertension and hair loss -cream in large amount causes fall in BP and takes 6 months for hair growth and to be continued.
3. Finasteride is an anti androgen used in treatment but has side effects like loss of sexual interest, breast enlargement etc.
4. Steroids too are used and can cause a variety of side effects and surgical treatment has its own risk.

Sometimes proper diet and care can cure it .

Hence consider.

Hope this answer clears all your doubts.

Follow-up: Is it ideal to start treatment to avoid balding if the vellus hair is 7.8% ? 27 hours later
Respected sir,

Thanks for ur reply. can u please tell me the diet which i should follow since im unaware of proper diet to be followed to reduce hair loss.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back to us.

First and foremost you should go for a balanced diet because deficiency or overdose of a vitamin never occurs alone.

Biotin is one of the water soluble vitamin belonging to B complex group which is one of the factor responsible for hair growth.

A compound named avidin present in raw egg in quantities sufficient to block the absorption of biotin and cause its deficiency should be kept in mind.

Hence egg should not be taken raw - you can boil and have it as egg is also a XXXXXXX source of biotin.

In a balanced diet see to it these items are always present.

Boiled egg,

whole wheat bread,

fish - salmon

whole grains,

Yeast and yeast product is another XXXXXXX product of biotin.

plant products have less amount of biotin among these the richest sources is
avocado fruit.

or other not so XXXXXXX sources or fruits like raspberry, tomato, cauliflower, etc

This will help your body fight against hair loss.

I hope my recommendations are usefull to you.

Feel free to write to us for any other queries you have.