Is it harmful to deworm my 19 month old who plays with his cat?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I just found out my cat has a tape worm and I have a 19 month old son who often plays with her. While I try to keep his hands clean and away from his face after playing with the cat, I'm not always watching. I haven't noticed any symptoms in my son but should I be deworming him as well? Is it harmful to deworm him at that age?
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not harmful Detailed Answer: Hi Giving albendazole which is a deworming medicine for your kid is very safe. Do not worry . It is better to deworm. I usually prescribe 200 mg albendazole single dose at night for deworming. Wishing your kid good health. Regards Dr Arun