Is it good to take vegetable smoothies with raw spinach ?

We are eating a basically plant based diet and have come to enjoy XXXXXXX Smoothies packed(literally) with raw spinach. Can one get too much of a good thing? The smoothies are made with varied fruits and vegetables as well as spinach depending what we have on hand. My husband and I are 73, 72, very active(bike, x-c ski and downhill) and in basic good health.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for your query.

Congratulations first of all on living a vibrant life in your eighth decade. As far as the smoothies go I see no problem with the composition of the smoothies as long as you are not experiencing any negative effects such as diarrhea. As long as you are supplementing with good protein as well then the largely plant based diet you are consuming should sustain you quite well.

I would recommend you continue the smoothies and experiment with different combinations of fruits and vegetables as this type of fresh organic fruit and vegetable consumption is absolutely ideal. I see no such thing as too much of a good think in your case.

Again congratulations on staying so healthy and vibrant. You are true examples of good living. I thank you again for submitting your query and should you have any followups I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Is it good to take vegetable smoothies with raw spinach ? 2 hours later
We get our protein from legumes and grains along with varied veg. and fruits. How much protein should we have in a day at our ages?We also have salmon or chicken when eating out as it is easier than trying to eat our usual way. This is maybe three times a month.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Regarding the protein, adult men require 56 grams per day while adult women require roughly 46 grams per day. Let me provide a reference link for you to a reputable website where diet and specifically protein content is discussed.

Of course your intake can vary a bit but as long as your average intake is close to those ideals then you should be in a good range.

Your intake of chicken and salmon is fine.

Thanks again for submitting your query and followup. I hope you have found this response to be timely and adequate. Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga