Is it OK to have an umbilical hernia repaired if i have cold?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi, I am scheduled to have an umbilical hernia repaired in two days, but have a cold. Would it be advisable to reschedule? No fever but body aches, runny nose, post nasal drip cough from time to time
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 10 minutes later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Given your current symptoms of runny nose, body aches, post nasal drip and cough, you most likely have a viral infection. I would suggest postponing this non-urgent operative procedure to a later date.

The heart murmur that you mention - is this a flow murmur? Have your cardiologist indicated that you would need prophylaxis for infective endocarditis whenever you have an invasive procedure? Please check your records.

As you are currently breastfeeding, for any surgical procedure that involves general anaesthesia, the anaesthetist would advise that you should not breast feed just after the surgery, given the excretion of general anaesthetic agents into breast milk.

In short, do check your cardiology records and contact your surgeon for a separate date. Also check with him if he thinks that this is the best plan.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best Wishes