Ask a Urologist   »  

Is it OK to have a light red or dark orange on wiping tissue after urnating ?

Hello well so far twice this year after i've urinated and instead of shaking myself dry i would grab toilet paper and wipe myself dry and i notice dark orange or light red on the tissue after peeing and i had my phisical check up this year like from stool, blood, and urin test and everything thing seems to be find and i told my doctor about this and he did'nt find anything wrong and plus i feel fine but because i'm Disable and have'nt worked in over 8 years i like to have a little alcohol at night while playing video games say 4 to 5 nights out of week just by myself nice quiet and relaxing for about 2 hrs and then go to sleep. would that have anything to do it ? Thank You.
P.S. my health query
AGE: 44
HGT: 6'
WGT: 255
MED HST: For the past 8 yrs no medical or phisical problems.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 35 minutes later

Blood in the urine can present in one of two ways: gross hematuria (blood that you can see) and microscopic hematuria (blood that is only seen when the urine is examined under a microscope). In your case, since you have noticed light red spots on toilet paper after urination, hence it can be gross hematuria. Gross (or macroscopic) hematuria is visible to the naked eye. The urine may be pink or red and in your case it is terminal hematuria i.e. which occurs at end of micturition and can reflect disease of the bladder or prostate.

It can occur due to infection, inflammation, injury and benign or malignant growths of the urinary bladder or prostate. Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, PSA levels (prostate specific antigen), Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.

Your lifestyle of playing video games and then going off to sleep has no relation with the hematuria. My suggestion would be to get an examination done from a urologist and get bladder and prostate causes ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.