Is hiv transmission possible through saliva?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Can I get hiv by speaking to someone and their saliva enters my mouth whilst we are engaged in conversation. By this I mean, when the person is talking, he is spitting at the same time, and this saliva enters my
Mouth. Is hiv transmission possible this way ? What if the person was spitting blood and this entered my
Mouth ? Do I need to get tested based on this scenario ?
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 days later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
there is no risk,even theoretical. Saliva doesn't consist the virus. even if there is blood in contact with you mouth mucosa the transmission is not possible unless there is open bleeding wound in your mouth. Even in such cases the risk is negligible. So you don't have to get tested. Although,herpes and other respiratory viruses can be transmitted so have that on mind. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Is hiv transmission possible through saliva? 3 hours later
Can hiv be transmitted from dried semen
Or dried blood ??
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later virus become inactivated in several minutes after exposed to air so it cant be transmissed by dried body fluids.