Is hiatal hernia laparoscopic surgery safe when suffering from cold and cough?

I'm set for hiatal hernia laparoscopic surgery tomorrow and am 95% over a cold. I Have a very slight raspy voice. No stuffed nose, sinus, fever, but a touch of a cough once in awhile. Is it safe to have the surgery? What could happen?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Answered Detailed Answer: Hi Hiatal hernia surgery aims at reinforcing the muscles or covering up the gaps between the muscle to prevent the hernia. Any condition which increases the abdominal pressure like coughing or straining at stools adversely affects healing and increases the chance of failure of surgery. Further if there is an active infective foci at the time of surgery there is an increased risk of wound infection Hence as it is an elective procedure, I would recommend you to reschedule the procedure to a later date when you have completely recovered Regards Dr XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Is hiatal hernia laparoscopic surgery safe when suffering from cold and cough? 3 hours later
I was afraid you'd say that. Makes sense. I've had this slight cold for a couple weeks and was almost gone but this morning, 4 am here, I note a slight light cough. Nothing else. So I hoped I'm just experiencing the end, which can drag on and you're usually told you're not contagious. Unfortunately my medical insurance runs out Feb 28, 2014 so I have little time to reschedule. So I'm pressured to continue but realize best policy will be to call the doctor's office or go to the hospital and let him see me and decide?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Answered Detailed Answer: Hi Now the risk of cough is the raise in intra-abdominal pressure that it causes. This can interfere with healing and cause failure of surgery. Regarding the intensity of the problem, it is best assessed by you and your treating doctor Regards