Is hepatitis C virus and human Immuno- deficiency virus transmitted sexually?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello doctor i recently ended a relationship with a female that after the fact I found out was very promiscuous. One morning when we were together I accidentally used her toothbrush thinking it was mine. We also had unprotected vaginal sex a lot. I have been screened for all stds and HIV a few times. I also had been tested for HCV with an antibody test sent to a lab. It was about 9 to 9.5 weeks since toothbrush incident and almost 7.5 weeks since our last sexual encounter. Which was negative. My questions to you are
1-is this a reliable timeframe for testing?
2-how long until you would consider it conclusive with today's testing?
3-would HCV and HIV interfere with each others antibody testing?

Thanks doctor I look forward to your reply.

Also doctor could you please tell me when most people show positive with antibody testing. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 9 hours later

I have gone through your query and noted your concern.

The answers for your queries are as follows:

1. The timeframe you mentioned for testing is quite reliable.

2. I think your testing results will hold good as of now in relation to your encounter with the person you mentioned.

3. HCV (HIV (Human Immuno- deficiency Virus) do not interfere with each other's antibody testing.

HCV doesn't transmit sexually or even by sharing toothbrushes. And then one needs to know the HCV and HIV status of your partner as well to really comment on your concerns.

Follow-up: Is hepatitis C virus and human Immuno- deficiency virus transmitted sexually? 27 hours later
Reason I ask I have been having an abdominal pain on my right side that comes and goes and kinda feels like a cramp. This sound like a symptom? Also at what timeframe do most people show +? Thanks doctor
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 23 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
The crampy abdominal pain that you are mentioned may not be related to Hepatitis C infection, if there is any. This symptom would require further evaluation, if it persists.
The test can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks to become positive after the virus has been transmitted. As I mentioned, it can take about 6 months for the tests to become positive in some people.
I hope I have answered your query.