Is hair fall normal in person going through menopause?

Hi my mom is going through menopause and have noticed hair falling out an gaps in between hair at the roots. Can you please let me no what this can be?
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hairfall not uncommon after menopause Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query About 30% of women experience hairfall during and after menopause and in some severe cases even male pattern baldness. The other causes of hairfall are 1. Hypothyroidism 2. Nutrition deficiency 3. Stress Here are my suggestions to you 1. Please seek help from a dermatologist, minoxidil is usually prescribed to be applied over the scalp daily to reduce hair fall. Along with that Tab biotin to be taken daily as a nutritional supplement for the hair fall 2. Get the thyroid levels checked, it is the most common and reversible cause for the hair fall 3. Good 8 hours of sleep helps reduce stress and also hair fall I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards