Is flying advisable with haematoma in lower leg?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a fall this afternoon which caused a haematoma in my lower leg to the front near my shin bone. I am due to fly back to the UK from New Zealand in 2 weeks time. Is it safe to do so?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can fly in 2 weeks if you took proper care. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case, Due to blunt injury there can be hematoma collection .The bleeding that occurs result in hematoma collection. Over a period of time, as hematoma resolves it cause local skin symptoms around the hematoma. Continue ice application, and thrombhophobe ointment may help and take rest. If you want to fly in 2 weeks you need to rule out fracture around shin bone. You can do x ray to see for fracture, giving supportive splint will give early recovery. You can fly in 2 weeks if you took proper care. If required you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery. Take precaution to avoid infection around hematoma. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.