Is far-sightedness. Why does my right eye cross when I read with contacts?

Why does my right eye cross when I read with my contacts.. My right eye is stronger than my left... My contact left is 6.25 and right 5.50.. I am farsighted and 44 yrs old
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. AK Garg 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

It appears that your refractive error is over corrected in your right eye or both eyes. So, you should get your refraction done and you need to have a correct prescription for your glasses/contact lenses.

However, it is not clear if you had crossed eyes before the use of this pair of contact lenses. So, can you please let me know the following points:

1. Did you have this problem of crossed eye before you started using this prescription of contact lenses?

2. Since when are you using these contact lenses?

3. Do you have double vision at any point of time?

I would like to add that it is better to get a refraction done with pupils dilated with mydriatics.

Please let me know the answers to the questions above so that I can assist you better.

Follow-up: Is far-sightedness. Why does my right eye cross when I read with contacts? 16 minutes later
only happens with contacts... and this started after i turned 40.. i am 44. i am ok when i read without glasses and ok if i put on reading glasses... but feel like i read with my left eye with contacts... she is lowering my prescription to 6 in my left eye..
Answered by Dr. AK Garg 13 minutes later

At the age beyond 40 years, you need to add presbyopic power to your contact lenses while reading by supplementing it with reading glasses on the top of your contact lenses. If you do this in your case, it should help.

You should find a thresh-hold duration for near vision work beyond which your eyes start feeling tired and you get crossing of eyes. You should try and give some rest to eyes before reaching that threshold.

In addition you should use some lubricating eye drops which will have a soothing effect in your eyes.

Hope this helps you. Please let me know if there is any other query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Is far-sightedness. Why does my right eye cross when I read with contacts? 1 hour later
i also feel like my balance is off.. can that be from my contacts not being the right prescription... I have been to 2 eye doctors plus optometrist...noone can get my prescription right...
Answered by Dr. AK Garg 2 hours later

In the symptoms described by you, it appears that you do not have diplopia (double vision). In absence of diplopia, the instability due to ocular reasons is unlikely. You should try the measures explained in my earlier reply.

In case, the situation does not improve over a span of about 1 week, you should look for general causes of instability like hypertension, blood sugar levels, ENT causes etc. In that case, you will need to visit a vertigo clinic for treatment.

Hope this helps.