Is diabetes hereditary? Suggestions to prevent, as parents and grand parents are diabetic?

I heard that Diabetes is hereditary, is it true ? If so, I need your suggestions to prevent hereditary diabetes, since my parents and grand parents have diabetes.

Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
Yes it is correct that diabetes does have a hereditary component. However it is not the sole, nor the strongest determinant of an individual's propensity to develop diabetes.

The likelihood of inheritance also differs based on the type of diabetes. For example, the chances of an offspring of one parent with type 1 diabetes is about 5 %. As of yet, there are no known ways to prevent 'inheriting' type 1 diabetes.

The risk estimations for type 2 diabetes are more complex because there are multiple risk factors in the causation of type 2 diabetes.
Regardless, this risk of inheriting type 2 diabetes can be mitigated by healthy lifestyle choices such as maintaining healthy body weight through good dietary habits and regular exercise. So it is entirely possible to avoid becoming diabetic, even if both parents have type 2 diabetes, by engaging in a healthy lifestyle.