Is delayed periods a sign of pregnancy ?

Hello doctor i need to your help.My menses date was delayed. Last time I met my husband sexually on Feb 4th after that I got a menses on Feb 16th. I suppose to get menses between march 20th to 26th. but till now(apr 5th) i didn't get my periods. My friends are telling delayed menses leads to pregnant. I just want to know from you.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX thanks for the query.
XXXXXXX for any sexually active lady missing of periods by and large means pregnancy.It is not the missing period which leads to pregnancy.

In most of the cases this is the commonest reason for missing periods.

As you say you had your periods last month,but not this month ,it is important to look for pregnancy first of all.Please go for urine pregnancy test with the kit available in stores testing your urine.Almost 10 days have gone past your date that is enough for making the test positive in presence of pregnancy.

There is one thing which is unusual and that goes against the possibility of pregnancy is that after last menses you said you do not had sexual relation.Obviously without sexual relations you can not be pregnant.

Go for pregnancy test and if it turns negative,please talk to your doctor for further guidance and look for the other cause of missing period.

Some times too much psychological upset,any pills taken etc.can delay periods.

Please go for the test and then still if you are in doubt please write back to me ,I will be glad to reply you again.

take care and have a nice day,Bye.