Ask a Dentist   »  

Is deep dental cleaning,safe?

I have heard that 85% of all Americans who get deep cleaning have developed an infection (can't remember the name of it) and I don't want it done. When I was in Japan they told me they don't do deep cleaning because of the threat of this infection. When I went to my dentist, I hadn't had my teeth cleaned in awhile. He did a simple cleaning ($ share of the Japanese Health Insurance payment was $7.50) every month for thee months, then every other month for three months and then every 3 months all the rest of the time I lived there. When I came back to the US #1 I couldn't find a Dentist who wanted to do simple cleaning. #2 Simple cleaning cost $125.00 but now I'm on a VERY small fixed income of only $812.00 a month so when I heard they want to start with a deep cleaning I said "NO thank you." However, I'm wondering what the infection is called and if it is as big a threat as I've heard.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pockets harbours microbes Detailed Answer: Hello, After going through the complete history I have understood the fact that you have been said that deep cleaning also known as curettage causes infection. This is actually in correct. I would like to present some facts that are used to determine whether or not deep cleaning is necessary. Based upon the facts, you can be the best judge to continue with the treatment or not. 1. Deep cleaning is not done in every case. It is advised to those patient who have pocket formation, Gum recession and moderate to severe loss of gingival (gum) attachment. 2. In case of pocket formation the gum looses its normal attachment with the bone and forms a pocket. This pocket further harbors millions of bacterias, fungus and microorganisms causing further damage odors and mobility of teeth. You may need to undergo deep scaling and clean this place (pocket); so that gum attachment can be restored back and the teeth along with gums can be saved. If you can upload picture of your teeth and gums, I may be able to figure out if you have those pockets. You can use the site's uploader to send me the pictures. 3. Unfortunately mouth being the primary active site and due to poor hygiene maintenance, it becomes a failure in most of the cases. Thus misunderstood. That being said, if you have history of diabetes, hypertension, chronic illness and immunocompromised, it would be better to avoid deep cleaning procedure. Hope I have given you detail answer. Thanks. Take care.