Is contrast dye 'Loversol' used in cardiac CT scan,safe?

Apr 2014

I m going to pass a cardiac CT soon, i did some exam 5 years ago where i had a small reaction to contrast dye just a few spots on the forehead that resorbed quickly after they injected me with some kind of product and i was dismissed of the hospital within 2 hours. The contrast dye they used that day was(iomeron 400). The one they will be using for my next test will be ioversol 350, they prescribed me 2 solupred 20mg and 1 aerius 5mg the day before the exam and the day of the exam. I red some really scary stuff lately on those contrast products and i m concern due to the fact that i allready have a reaction to it. I don't really mind having a rash of some sort but those cardiac arrest and big arythmia are freaking me out a little. Can you honestly tell me if i m more at risk for those, and if there is any diference whatsoever between those 2 contrast products?? Any other input would be greatly apreciated. Thank you!
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Iodine content in Ioversol is less,so it is safe. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Iomeron 400 and Ioversol 350 both are used for angiography. Both are non ionic contrast media with low osmolality.Non ionic contrast media are very safe and chances of severe reactions are rare. You had mild allergy from iodine present in contrast media. Earlier you had mild anaphylaxis from iomeron 400 ant it was rightly tackled by steroid and antiallergic drugs. Iodine content in ioversol 350 is less as compared to iomeron 400,so it should cause less adverse reactions. You don't worry at all. Don't think about complications due to severe anaphylaxis like cardiac arrest. Due to previous allergy history, this time you are well covered with steroids and anti allergic drugs prior to the test.This premedication reduces the chances of even mild allergy to minimal. You can for angiography safely. Angiography centres are well equipped with latest resuscitation machines and drugs to counter anaphylaxis reactions.So,please don't worry at all. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Is contrast dye 'Loversol' used in cardiac CT scan,safe? 50 minutes later
Thank you verry much for this detailed and complete answer , i asked the question to cardiologist too as i got mixed up with my phone and didn t know if i adress to the right specialist the first time (sorry for that) and thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for your comments. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Thanks for your comments. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX