Is burning pain in shoulder related to syringomyelia?

Nov 2013

I have post traumatic syringomyelia It was first seen in 2010 at t6 t7 now it is from t7 to t12 it is 2.5 mm width at the widest . I have been having burning pain in the shoulders , back of neck and middle back sometimes it feels like weird tingling crawling feeling or stabbing pains.I have had neck mri but nothing wrong there. t8 vertebra has old (1977) wedge compression 22%. Orthopedic specialist says the pain is mechanical would appreciate opinion. XXXX 54 yr.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. The burning pain is neurogenic in nature and could be related to your syringomyelia. The syrinx in the spinal cord interferes with the spino-thalamic tract, which results in this unpleasant sensation of burning and pain. You would benefit from medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: Is burning pain in shoulder related to syringomyelia? 9 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply, it is helpful to know the srinx could be the problem I will try pregabalin or gabapentin capsules. I also have pain in lower buttocks which radiates to lower calf muscles and feet, recently I had extreme cramping burning pain in left calf muscle, foot and big toe that came on at night and lasted most of the night for three nights in a row, dortor gave me oxycodone hydrochloride pain killers but no help at all . Extreme pain has stopped for now . I had another mri after the third third night of pain and nothing seems to have progressed. (I uploaded latest MRI) Is foraminal stenosis at l5/s1 the problem here and will pregabalin or gabapentin stop the severe pain happening again . Thankyou XXXX (PS. Why was pain in left leg not right leg as regards to the latest Mir report)
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Yes, the foramina stenosis at L5-S1 can give rise to back pain, pain in buttocks and legs. In addition, it can also cause radiating pain in the legs, tingling and numbness in legs. Pregabalin or gabapentin would help with those symptoms too. In addition, physiotherapy (with IFT/ultrasound, traction, etc) and back extension exercises would also be helpful. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)