Is bump on the left side of epiglottis a sign of cancer?

ENT Specialist
I have a bump on the left side of epiglottis, not in the vallecula,between the left edge of the epiglottis and where the ligament attaches to the epiglottis, almost directly in the center between the two. Went to the ENT today and he looked at my epiglottis and said it looks normal but he didn't physically try to feel the bump that I feel. It is a hard, rounded, less than 1cm bump. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be cancer
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of cancer is remote Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The most common lump in that region is cyst but the appearance of cyst is characteristic and if your ENT has said normal after examining the area has said normal, then most probably it is a taste bud which you are feeling. These taste buds can become prominent and give a feeling of lump. Usually inflammation in the region because of infective causes can be a reason for these becoming prominent. Use of antiseptic gargles, and proton pump inhibitors should solve the problem. Possibility of cancer after your ENT has labelled it as normal is less as the carcinogenic lumps have typical appearance and are usually ulcerated. If and pain starts and persists, or the problem of lump persists and is gradually progressive, a re-evaluation is needed but the need in your case from your history seems remote. Also you have not given any history of tobacco use, which is important. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: Is bump on the left side of epiglottis a sign of cancer? 13 minutes later
I smoked from age 18 untill sept. Stopped approx 3 months ago..smoked a pack/day approx. at the XXXXXXX So i smoked for 5 years. do not drink alcohol. I first noticed the lump around a month or 1 1/2 months ago. I cant really say for sure whether it has grown in siZe or not..if it has then very little.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good that you have stopped smoking Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Still from history, the lump being a cancerous lump is very less. Still if it persists an endoscopic examination will ne helpful in getting a magnified view. Also if your ENT has said that it is insignificant, then waiting for few weeks is indicated if no additional complaint like pain develops. You have stopped smoking is a good thing and please do not restart it if everything comes out to be fine. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: Is bump on the left side of epiglottis a sign of cancer? 1 hour later
I dont plan on it. It just bothered me that he didnt acknowledge that there was a bump. Said he couldnt see the bump i was saying i felt with my finger and that wverything looked good to him. I just dont want to look back months down the road and this turn out to be cancer and could have been preented. The mucosa over the bump is intact. There is no ulceration. v
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Option of MRI tongue can be availed Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. There are many areas at the back of throat which are self palpable with finger but actually on examination/inspection the area is normal looking. The ENT looking at the area is the best judge. Please consult a reasonably experienced ENT and believe his/her opinion. Alternately, go for an MRI tongue and an imaging of the area will rule out many things. But it is expensive and chances of it coming out as normal study are high. Feel free to ask another query. Regards