Is blood pressure 228/98 normal?

my wife has a blood pressure of 228 over 98...her heartbeat is 81. she's had those eppesodes before and she would go to the emergency but after a long rest, she would calm down and everything would get back to normal. She's 75 and she's taking avapro ....what should I do?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Recheck blood pressure... Detailed Answer: Hi, Blood pressure numbers of 228/98 is extremely high and can be categorized as accelerated hypertension. If her blood pressure numbers are still high as you get this reply, I would encourage you to visit the ER. I would prefer to use nitrates sublingually to bring down blood pressure, since chances of organ damages are extremely high with accelerated hypertension. So, recheck her pressure now. If the above number (systolic blood pressure) is above 180mmHg, consider visiting the ER. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards