Is an itchy red bump on my leg a sign of cancer?

hi im 29 and male ive have developed an itchy red bump on my leg about the size of a finger nail it came up about 3 days ago and is still itchy. im worried it could be skin cancer should i get it checked out or wait a while because im going on holiday on monday
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern but rest assured because it is least likely that it is a skin malignancy. Skin cancers are more common after age 40 and may have many different appearances. They can be small, shiny, waxy, scaly and rough, firm and red, crusty or bleeding, with shades of XXXXXXX brown, or black, larger than 6 mm in size and with irregular borders.

It does not look like a skin cancer but since it is a solitary itchy bump on the leg, it can be due to an insect or arthropod bite. Firstly, it is important to keep the area clean.

Wash the area with some antiseptic lotion or soap. Use cold water but avoid the use of warm or hot water as this may tend to stimulate itch. You should not scratch the area as it may lead to open wounds and secondary infections. You may apply a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone cream and take anthistaminics for itching after consultation from your dermatologist.

You can take these medicines and then go for your vacation as symptoms will get resolved once treatment is started.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.