Is an itch over my shin bone treatable?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I'm 38 y/o. I have a strong itching feeling over my right XXXXXXX bone. No bites of any kind. It persists during all day long. Body lotions help for a short period. No color change on surface (only bruises caused by itching). No certain spot but area around 10cm. No known diabetes or history of it in the family. Faint pruritus feeling all over my body from time to time. My father have the same itching feeling on his left or right leg for years with no doctor's solution. Olive oil based body lotion seems to help. The itching is very strong and only on the same area described.
Thanks in a advance.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 51 minutes later

Your description and the family history suggest that you have "Pruritus of Idiopathic origin".

Do you get itching in night?any itching over genitals/fingers/webspaces?
Do you have any pet animal in the house.
Is there any kind of skin changes over affected area?
Do u have any systemic illness or drug history.?

There are few conditions where no skin lesions can be found but there is severe itching present.They are called invisible dermatosis. Examples include urticaria,scabies,Dermatitis herpetiformis,itching of liver or renal disease.

A visit to dermatologist will be worth for diagnosis, to rule out invisible dermatosis and treatment of your condition. Your doctor may suggest a complete blood count with absolute eosinophil count, ESR, Renal and liver function test.

If possible send me a picture of the lesion if at all there are any visible changes. It will be more informative and I would be able to help in predicting the condition .

You can mail me the photos to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr Sudarshan.
Please do confirm the sending of the photos by writing here, so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

In the meantime you need to break itch scratch itch cycle. Say every few hours avoid itching.
Apply petroleum jelly or emmolient like venusia XXXXXXX lotion throught the day.
Take good quality antihistaminic like fexofenadine.

Hope my answer is useful. Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Is an itch over my shin bone treatable? 11 hours later
Thanks,

To answer your questions,
The itching is all day long with time to time breaks.
No irregular skin change in the affected area except what seems like scratching bruises (will send pictures).
My parents have a dog but I do not live there and he's not indoors.
I must emphasize that my father have the same problem for years. It started for me in the passed few months.
We live a different lives. I'm an athlete running Marathons. Don't have regular medicine intake. My father does have some pills he takes. I know he has Gaut disease (uric acid in the blood... something like that, treated with Alorill??), I don't have it updated from last year, but I may check again with blood tests I intend to do.
I will take some pictures and send them to you today.

Best regards,
-Nir.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hello Nir,

Thanks for sending me the images. I have taken a good look at them.

There are no obvious skin changes over there except little erythema and excoriation marks.

You just need to break itch-scratch-itch cycle. Trim your nails. keep them small.

Whenever you feel itching rub the part with soft cotton clothe. Avoid vigorous friction.

A mild topical corticosteroid cream like fluticasone can be helpful for initial few days.

Your father and you may have unrelated condition.

Itching can occur in Gout or due to allopurinol medication.

Get the blood work done.

Hope my answer is useful.

I will be available for your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Is an itch over my shin bone treatable? 2 hours later

I don't quite get it.
I have an itch as a reaction to something or some body problem.
Your answer advises to use some lotion a a treatment to solve it or to relax the feeling?
Regretfully I eat my nails so, the scratching marks are because of the really hard scratching.
I read in your answer 2 types of lotions: antihistaminic and petroleum jelly.
Should I use both? do you suspect a kind of allergy? are there any test I can do besides the blood testing?

-Nir.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 24 minutes later
Hello again Nir,

Firstly you have got Itching and it could be due to allergy or some XXXXXXX problem.

To find out cause a thorough skin and systemic examination including blood work and patch test may be carried out.

Your physician will be the best judge about which investigations to be done.

Anti histaminic is a drug, a tablet to be taken orally which will minimise itching.

Whereas petroleum jelly or emmolient cream is to be applied topically for soothing effect to prevent itch response.

Your vigorous itching is giving rise to more itching(itch -->scratch -->itch cycle)

I hope you understood the point.

And also a visit to dermatologist will confirm diagnosis.