Is amitriptyline safe medicine for polymyalgia? What are the affect of alcohol?

Can you tell me if amytryptoline helps polymyalgia and how does alcohol affect the person? I am on 8mgs prednisolone
the worst pain in my legs is down my shins . is this indicative of polymyalgia?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 21 hours later

I am Dr. Prasad, a physician associated with well known neurologist out here. I see you have posted this query to a rheumatologist. As your query is left unattended for quite sometime (which is a rare occurrence on this forum) and as amitriptyline is constantly used in the treatment of neuralgia, I shall take this opportunity to answer on behalf of the experts.

1. Yes, amitriptyline works very well with all neuralgia and polymyalgia. It isn't a pain killer by it self; it works by modifying the perception of pain. You will need to try the drug for a few days to see the effectiveness for yourself.

2. Alcohol in moderation does not significantly affect the condition. However in presence of a liver disease it can adversely affect the way your medications behave. Therefore keep alcohol under moderation.

3. Polymyalgia can present with pain throughout the body.

Hope you are satisfied with my answers. Let me know if you need clarifications.

PS: I had a curbside consult with my fellow rheumatologist.