Is alamine drip safe for the baby during pregnancy?

Hi I m 8 month pregnant,In my u/s report shows liquor is relatively less(borderline) , growth of baby is two weeks late which makes it 7& half month instead of 8 months. My doctor recommended for alamine drip, is this necessary to take if yes what r it's side effect on me & on my baby, one of my friend said me & my baby will get fatty after my child delivery, how far is this true?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: No much use of alamine drip. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Alamine drip is a amino acid nutirional supplementation, some physicians give this if there is significant amount of IUGR (intra uterine growth restriction) and decreased amniotic fluid. But many studies has shown that there is NO MUCH BENEFIT from this supplementation, personally I don't give this for my patients. But I recommend them to keep well hydrated, and I supplement them with protein powder and arginine powder. Also if there is significant IUGR I also give injection betamethasone once the preganncy reaches 32 weeks, and close monitoring of foetus + mother by regular antenatal check ups, checking regular blood pressure, scan of foetus to know serial growth and liquor status. Also doppler scan will tell how much the foetus is compramised. Finally it will be best to terminate by 38 to 39 weeks. Coming back to alamine drip, some patients have developed reaction to this, s you need to be careful. And there are no studies which tell that the foetus will develop fatty with this supplementation. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Follow-up: Is alamine drip safe for the baby during pregnancy? 12 minutes later
" best to terminate 38-39 weeks" means what I dint understand this sentence, I mean terminate what?
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: termination means delivery. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, regarding the 'termination' I meant delivery, that means usually when the baby is going for IUGR we terminate between 38 to 39 weeks. Otherwise if there is any problem like no interval growth of foetus (in between scans shows no growth), or any maternal problems we terminate early depending on the scenario. Mode and route of delivery will be decided by your treating physician. Please ask if you have more questions. Wish you good health and a healthy baby. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!