Is air travel safe during pregnancy

Is it safe to do AIR travel of 20 hours on tenth week of pregnency
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Risk of developing Travellor's thrombosis. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to Healthcare magic. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern. Air Travelling as such is not contraindicated in pregnancy in 1st trimester (you are in 1st trimester). A very important concern is duration of travel. A long hault travel should be avoided in view of chances of development of "Travellor's Thrombosis" that is developing Deep Vein thrombosis of lower limbs which may lead to Pulmonary Embolism , that may prove fatal. So , i personally do not recommend long duration air travel in pregnancy in any trimester. In case you have to travel , even at cost of risking your life and your baby's life , do adopt following things which "might" prevent development of thrombosis : 1. Avoid Stagnant position , keep moving in air craft as when permitted. 2. Keep moving your toes. 3. Maintain Hydration. 4. Calf bandages may be applied in consultation with your specialist. This is my best opinion based on details available here , if you have any further query ask me.
Follow-up: Is air travel safe during pregnancy 1 hour later
Is there any issue with full body scanners that present in the Air ports ? And my doctor suggested "susten sr 200 " before 3 days of travel.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Metal detectors are safe Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Manuals metal scanners are considered as safe. There is no problem as such with them. Xray Scanners have to be avoided , but they are not routinely used , so not a problem. About this drug , i can just say , it can't help you in preventing traveller's thrombosis. I would advice you strongly to avoid air travel. If you have no further queries , you may please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.