Is acutret, elatop lotion and topisal ointment right medication for acne on face and psoriasis chonic plaque in hands?

Dec 2013

Hello sir I am 35 yrs male. i havebeen diagnosed with Acne problem on my face , usually appers and visible on forehead area and sometimes on cheeks and i also diagnosed with PSORIASIS-CHRONIC PLAQUE mainly on hands. Doctor has prescribed me:- - CAP ACUTRET 30 for 30 days- Daily 1 tab (for Acne) - EPISOFT CLEANSING LOTION- for face wash, bath - ELATOP PE LOTION - OLEMESSA BATH OIL - Mix both and apply full body twice. - TOPISAL OINTMENT(6%)- Twice daily on affected areas on hand. Sir/Madam, I would like to know am i having right medicines? I am having Acutret 20 for the last 13 days now, 3 days back my face and forehead was looking clear but now some pimples are again visible on forehead and cheeks. Please advice. 1 more thing for last 3 days i have noticed that sometimes my face gets dry, and my face gets chappy and itchy when i use the MIX LOTION OF ELATOP AND OLEMESSA OIL as it was told to do so by my doctor. Please advice. I do oil my hair before hair wash. is that also a cause of my Acne? Can you tell more about my prescribed medicines for Psoriasis.? what should i do to this regard or suggest some moisturiser or cream for face.? Your suggestions are highly appreciable. Regards XXXX
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly see the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare magic. I have gone through your complete query and the part of treatment given to you. I can make out form your query as well as prescription that you have the problem of mainly psoriasis along with acne eruptions. After thoroughly analyzing the complete query with diligence I can make out that your treating doctor has very wisely and perfectly advised you the treatment which is effective in both psoriasis and acne condition. The mainstay of your treatment in both acne and psoriasis is Isotretinoin. It is a wonder drug for acne and is very much helpful in psoriasis too. So rather than giving two different medicines, your doctor has rationally prescribed you one medicine effective for both the conditions. The part of dryness is quite usual with Isotretinoin as it reduces the activity of oil glands. So you will feel dryness of especially lips and chapped lips till the time you are taking it. For the same your doctor has give you the lip balm. This should be applied for atleast 5-6 times or more according to chapping of lips. If you have dryness of face along with pimples the it would be better if you can use only Efatop PE lotion very thinly over face. Apply it after making the face wet so that the additional advantage of moisture in water can be obtained without making face more greasy. Applying Olemessa oil or any other moisturizer on face is not justified till you have pimples. Apply TOPISAL OINTMENT(6%) in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible on the skin. DO not apply beyond the margin of psoriasis plaque. Only pea size amount of cream is sufficient to apply on palm size area of skin. SO if you are taking over and above this then will not be useful. It is only just moer than 10 days since you have started your treatment, so have patience to get good relief. Do have follow up with your doctor after 30 days. Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Is acutret, elatop lotion and topisal ointment right medication for acne on face and psoriasis chonic plaque in hands? 34 minutes later
Thanks a lot sir for your suggestion. Does Oiling Hair before head wash is also the cause of Acne? as i take alcoholic drinks occassionaly, so do i can take alcoholic drinks with my priscribed medications such as:- acutret, Elatop etc. what other precautions should i need to follow. regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: No alcohol with Isotretinoin please Detailed Answer: Hello young fellow, welcome to the forum again and thanks for asking further queries. Oiling of scalp should be basically avoided. But as you are doing before bath so it can be done very lightly and gently. Do not try to massage over the forehead. Try to avoid all types of creamy or oily stuff on the forehead and face area. But yo can apply Efatop PE lotion as told before if at required and lip balm on lips. I personally suggest you to not take alcohol with Isotretinoin as it can cause problem in liver. Also tell your doctor in future follow up regarding your previous history of alcohol intake so that if required the dose modification of Isotretinoin, can be done accordingly. For the part of topical application I can see that Benzoyl peroxide ( microbenz) is prescribed. It again require bit of guidance that you should apply very lightly over the pimples and do not at all try to rub. For some of the days you can just touch it for half to one hour period and then increase the time accordingly so that there should not be any burning or irritation over the pimples. Wash the area after 1 hour of application. Rest of the part is very well. Keep your body moisturized properly and take best of your diet. Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. Wish you early recovery and healthy life. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)