Is acne caused by sebum production which is under the influence of hormones produced by testicles?

Jun 2015

I went and saw my family doctor and he told me that my Acne is caused by horomones produced by the testicles such as testosterone which produce sebum. This causes my acne he said. Is this true?? my nose area gets very oily. Does this mean that my testicles are functioning healthy.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 24 hours later

1. Your family Doctor is right in saying that your Acne is caused by sebum production which is under the influence of hormones produced by testicles (i.e.Testosterone)
Though there may be other reasons also like blockage of the skin pores, inflammation, bacterial infection, etc.
So, it will be better to consult a Dermatologist to find out the exact cause & start treatment accordingly.

2. Though this finding (presence of oily skin & acne) can be considered with proper functioning of the testicles, it is not a confirmatory one.
So, to be on a safer side, kindly get your sperm analysis done.

The hormone testosterone is associated with formation of the sperm & maintaining the sexual characteristics in males.
And fertility in an individual is determined by his sperm count.

There is no need to worry.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.