Is acidity a reason for getting burps without having food?

Jun 2015

I get more burps without having any food. is due to acidity or dehydration?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Production & accumulation of gas in empty stomach Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your query. The causes of getting more burps is due to production & accumulation of gas in the empty stomach, which can be secondary to increased acid formation. The reason for increased acid production can be Stress, inappropriate diet & lifestyle methods or infection associated with a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H pylori). Symptomatic relief can be obtained with intake of Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach) to be taken twice a day, half an hour before meals. Antacid gel can also be taken after meals for the same. It is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as: 1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods 2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration 3. Avoid smoking & consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. 4. Have your meals regularly and at appropriate time of the day. Do not skip breakfast & never stay hungry. 5. Keep away stress, think positive. 6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation. 7. Avoid medicines like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, etc for pain relief. They may further aggravate the condition. 8. Avoid staying awake late at nights. Get sufficient sleep. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Please let me know if I can clarify further. Wishing a good health. Take care.