Is a tear on the sphincter considered the same as anal fissure?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Is a tear on the sphincter considered the same as an XXXXXXX anal fissure? If not, what is it called?
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no term like XXXXXXX anal fissure

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Anal fissure is of two type acute or chronic. Acute anal fissure is simply superficial tear on anoderm that is of superficial mucosa of anal canal however chronic anal fissure may be deep leading to ulceration that may reach up to muscular layer that is anal sphincter. There is no term like XXXXXXX anal fissure

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Is a tear on the sphincter considered the same as anal fissure? 11 hours later
I had a colonoscopy and there were NO anal fissures according to the doctor, however, I tear and bleed off and on at the opening - isn't that considered an anal fissure? What are possible treatments for this condition?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello! Sorry for delay.

Detailed Answer:
If there is pain and bleed then it is anal fissure and if there is no pain and only bleed then it may be hemorrhoids. If it is anal fissure then you have to make stool softer by taking lots of fruits and vegetables and may be psyllium fibres or may be laxative. Also sitz bath and local application of ointment like ditizem will help in healing of the tear.

If you do not require any clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Is a tear on the sphincter considered the same as anal fissure? 16 hours later
The only pain is "burning" when stool passes the tear - so that means the bleeding is from hemorrhoids and not an anal fissure, correct? What kind of pain would an anal fissure cause?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Sorry for delay

The burning pain may be due to irritation and inflammation of that tear.

Anal fissure also causes bleed but that is painful but if it is not there on colonoscopy bot burning sensation and bleed may be due to tear only. Anal fissure usually causes very sharp and moderate to severe pain especially during defecation.
For that tear also I will advise you to take treatment as advised earlier you will definitely relieved.

If you do not require any clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health