Is a myeloproliferative disorder patient classified as immunocompromised?

Is a patient who has myeloproliferative disorder classified as "immunocompromised"
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not all myeloproliferative disorders result in IC Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Myeloproliferative disorder is a broad term and has numerous conditions under the category. As your question is quite general and not precise, the answer to your question would be that some conditions under the category of myeloproliferative disorders can result in immune deficiency, but not all. But if you state the exact disorder that you or the individual diagnosed with a myeloproliferative disorder, I would be able to reply more accurately to your question sir. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Is a myeloproliferative disorder patient classified as immunocompromised? 9 hours later
Thank you for your response. I regret that I can provide no more information about the conditions than that they are overlap myeloproliferative/myelodysplasticity disorder with monoclonal B lymphocytosis and monoclonal gammopathy If these disorders need not result in the patient being immunocompromised then would someone who was severely malnourished, had recovered from pneumonia a few weeks earlier and had diabetes 2 be likely to be immunocompromised? Again, I regret that I have little more information to add and I appreciate that this may make it difficult to give a precise answer.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer: You did/do have an immunopromised state Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. Do not worry about it sir. The information you just provided me is actually more than enough to tell you whether or not you could be immunocompromised. Pneumonia is the most common infection/complication listed in all literature relating to myeloproliferative disorders leading to an immunocompromised state. So it is quite clear that you were and possibly still are in an immunocompromised state. I hope this information helps you sir. Do not worry about not being able to provide me with enough information, doctors are trained to work with whatever information they can get, whether sufficient or not. Best wishes sir.