Ask a Urologist   »  

Is a black patch on my penis a sign of cancer?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I have a light black patch on my penis external skin at the level of the gland. It's been there for a while. I always though it was a bruise because I masturbate every won't go away now and I'm afraid it could be penile cancer....could it really be that? Or is it just a bruise?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

There are many possibilities of brown spot on the penis. I will discuss about each of them, to reach your diagnosis.

It may be a

1- simple bruise-- but as you have told that it is not resolving, so chance are less.

2- flat mole-- A localized collection of melanocytes, leading to this condition.

3-fungal infection-- it is usually associated with itching.

4- Squamous cell carcinoma of penis presents as a fungating growth not as a spot, and at your age chances are extremely rare.

Now what you will have to do--

1- Clean the area daily.
2- Apply some antifungal and antibacterial ointment on it locally.
3-Try to avoid masturbation.
4-Take plenty of fluids.

All for 5 days, If still the problem persists or increases, Consult a GP / DERMATOLOGIST.

he will take a contact biopsy and the diagnosis will be confirmed.

In my view you should not worry, it is just a simple fungal or bacterial infection, and will definately resolve in next few days.